Monday, April 16, 2012

Lewis Clark and Sacagawea

Paddling and Biking in the Tetons!

This was maybe the most fun I've ever had on a camping trip. Ever. It was just us girls, and in between enjoying the fantastic landscape and near perfect weather, dodging river obstacles and pedaling through herds of wildlife, we nearly laughed our heads off having such a great time.



Like the great explorers Lewis and Clark and Sacagawea we navigated the Snake in our canoe. Emma had the paddling expertise, guiding us through the various twists and turns of the river. Becka was our naturalist, pointing out the various forms of vegetation and wildlife. I'm not sure what my role was apart from providing some paddling power... and of course my charisma. Becka said I was the comic relief :P


We drove to the put in spot, paddled to our campsite, then hopped on our bikes and pedaled back to the car.

This is a strainer. The rangers let us know we'd come up against a few of these.


We paddled right up to our campsite. It was ideal!

Look at the pretty view!

Biking was a blast. The hill up was arduous! Coming down was ca-razy!






We spotted lots of wildlife...


We rode right through a herd of bison. (Then turned around to take a picture from a safe distance.) They looked so awesome running through the tall grass. The way they bounce makes it seem like they're swimming.

At the bird refuge Becka had a moment of silence in front of a "no climbing" sign.


A storm rolled in just as we were finishing one of our bike rides. If you were hiking one of the peaks that would be inconvenient. But I thought it was gorgeous.

I'm also quite proud to announce that while there I became a certified Grand Teton National Park Junior Ranger. That's 100 percent awesome.

Also, if you visit the Tetons make sure to check out the visitor center. We spent perhaps an unreasonable amount of time there.

No comments: