 |
| Manhattan skyline |
The event that inspired this trip was the Becket Fund gala
honoring Elder Oaks, who received the Canterbury Medal for promoting religious
liberty. It’s kind of a big deal. If you go to lds.org it’s front and center on
the home page, or you can read about it
here.
If you watch the video you’ll notice a slender, beautiful girl with a big smile
standing next to Elder Oaks in several of the clips. That person is Emily
Hardman, Communications Director for the
Becket Fund, and one of my favorite
people on the planet. Emily is involved in a really important line of work. If
you don’t know about the Becket Fund, you should. It is a non-profit law firm
fighting to protect religious freedom, and they’re really good at what they do.
While I didn’t attend the dinner, by all accounts it was a
tremendous success!
I was able to spend that evening with Deborah and fam in
Brooklyn. After inhaling some delicious pizza we wandered out onto the pier in
the fading twilight to look at the Manhattan skyline. In one of those magical
serendipitous moments, suddenly fireworks began to light up the sky beyond the
Brooklyn bridge! Gazing at the city lights and the fireworks sparkling over the
East River in the cool night breeze was
absolutely enchanting.
The building lit up with red white and blue is the Empire
State Building. The tall tower in the middle is the 1,776 ft. tall tower that’s
part of the new
World Trade Center, which is a pretty awesome project.
 |
| the Manhattan and Brooklyn bridges and the magical fireworks show... |
 |
| my favorite subway ad: Fall in Love, Stay in Love |
 |
| Belgian waffles = instant happiness |
It was so good to see Deborah again! What a great pal. And a
fantastic tour guide. And a champion mom! (Navigating through a crowded subway
with a toddler in stroller is not exactly a piece of cake.) Mmm, speaking of
cake, let’s talk about food. If you’re planning a trip to NYC, you need to try
the very scrumptious Belgian waffle
carts around Central Park. My favorite come drizzled with dark chocolate syrup.
There’s also an amazing indoor bazaar full of Italian restaurants and markets
called Eataly, and a Pizzerias everywhere where you can eat authentic and
delicious New York style pizza.
Food...
 |
| Lunch at Lombardi's |
 |
| Eataly breads |
 |
| Eataly |
 |
| the ol' crew together again |
 |
| Mmmm...pizza! |
 |
| Jess's scary zombie face... |
"The City..."
 |
| Times Square |
 |
| Time's Square |
 |
| Times Square |
 |
| Jess wearing her little saucy hat... |
 |
| Playing in the fountain at Bryant Park |
 |
| friends! |
 |
| Chillaxin at the park, next to the ugly rope sculptures... |
 |
| St. Patrick's Cathedral |
 |
| St. Patrick's Cathedral |
This little man is the best. He provided fun and
entertainment wherever we went. His smile is adorable. AND, he generously
donated the discounted tickets he won in the Newsies lotto to us! What a guy.
 |
| Winning the lotto! |
NEWSIES!
Seeing
Newsies was all out fun. It’s a refreshing
show because it doesn’t profess to be something it’s not. It doesn’t have to be
profound and epic or emotionally jarring, because it’s only meant to be entertaining. The energetic dancing
and choreography and the witty dialogue were just what they should be. The
actor who played Jack completely owned the stage. He looked like a younger
version of Hugh Jackman. AND he could sing. His voice was amazing, and besides that he was
adorable.
 |
| I mean, look how cute he is. |
 |
| "One for all and all for one!" |
 |
| "Open the gates and seize the day!" |
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
Deborah and I got to see Phantom
of the Opera! I’ve always loved Phantom,
but I’ve never actually seen it performed in a theater before! I think it
definitely lived up to its reputation! The only complaint I have is that it
felt too abbreviated. I didn't want it to end. I wanted to see so much more! The scenes were
quintessentially Broadway with smoke and lights, giant backdrops, elaborate
costumes, lots of drama and, of course, fantastic music. It was a little
jarring at first, as each character made their debut on the stage, and I
thought to myself “Wait! That’s not the way that character is supposed to act!
They delivered that line wrong!” Raul was so abrasive, Christine so torn and
Phantom so completely psychotic! But that’s part of the magic of theater! I
really do love when actors will take a character and make it their own,
inserting their own personality or adding a slightly different twist to their
part. Christine and Phantom both had phenomenal voices and it only took as long
as their first number to completely win me over. It was a pretty magical
experience.
 |
| at Phantom of the Opera! |
Another serendipitous moment…
Deborah and I had just gotten out of Phantom and noticed a crowd collecting around the theater where Tom
Hanks is starring in Lucky Guy. A
fancy vehicle parked near the side door, and of course we had to stop, because
that could only mean one thing! Tom Hanks was coming out! We found Jess and Em
who were just getting out of Cinderella, and we all joined in the general hullabaloo
and fiasco of a mob of fans waiting for a glimpse of the celebrity. The door
opened several times, teasing us, as the less prestigious showmen made their
way past the thickening throng. Then, finally, he appeared! The crowd went wild
as Tom Hanks himself emerged from the theater! Some boosted friends onto their
shoulders, one fan hoisted up a volley ball, and several hundred cameras and phones
shot into the air. I found myself yelling out, “We love you Tom! Really, truly,
you are very important to me!!” (If he could have heard me he would’ve thought
that a witty remark.) Em had disappeared
but we soon after discovered she had gotten a better view than any of us.
Ingeniously working her way up to the front of the crowd she had managed to get
close enough to not only profess her adoration but to actually kiss his car
window! He obviously considered this a great compliment, and smiled and waved
from the back seat. Next thing she knew, his car had rolled over her foot, and
sped away. This brief encounter was no doubt a magical moment for both parties.
Em now owns a shoe that was run over by Tom Hanks’s car! And Tom Hanks now has
a car that the infamous Emily Hardman kissed! … and I was there!
 |
| That's Tom Hanks! |
 |
| Tom Hanks sportin the stache... |
 |
| Jess |
 |
| Empire State Building |
 |
| New York Public Library...which was closed! Rats. |
 |
| Rats! |
 |
| on the tram |
 |
| The rain perfectly coincided with the time we were planning on visiting Central Park. Blast! |
My favorite part of the trip was doing a session in the
Manhattan temple. We accidentally ended up in a Spanish session, which I loved
and think I’ll try more often. It’s a
beautiful temple inside, and remarkably quiet and peaceful despite the noisy
city all around it. I was reminded of a Conference talk about the Manhattan
temple, by Elder Stone in 2006. Methinks it has been quoted in Conference since
then but I can’t remember by who. But he drew this analogy:
How was it possible that the temple could be
so reverently silent when the hustle and bustle of the metropolis was just a
few yards away?
The answer was in the construction of the
temple. The temple was built within the walls of an existing building, and the
inner walls of the temple were connected to the outer walls at only a very few
junction points. That is how the temple (Zion) limited the effects of Babylon,
or the world outside.
There may be a lesson here for us. We can
create the real Zion among us by limiting the extent to which Babylon will
influence our lives.
Cool right? Going to the temple turned out to be a fantastic
highlight, so I’m glad we found time to go!
 |
| Manhattan temple |
I love that New York is home to such a crazy variety of people.
The week I spent in New York with my mother a few years ago, we woke up early every morning just to
sit in a bakery and watch people through the window while we ate out bagels.
But I pretty much avoided making eye contact with anyone. My approach on this
trip was a little different. I made more of an effort to strike up conversations with strangers: on the elevator, in the subway, at a Pizzeria, in the temple, standing
in a ticket line... Nearly everyone I met was remarkably friendly and helpful! (Those times I was trying to make my way through the city by myself I made friends out of necessity.) The diversity there is
amazing. Hop on any subway car and you’ll see people of every ethnicity,
culture, and background you can imagine. And for every inconsiderate, crazy or conniving person you run into, you can find dozens really fantastic people. Though the city feels pretty gritty and crowded, there's something magical about it being such a true melting pot! Like this
awesome video from School House Rock.

1 comment:
“I love New York, even though it isn't mine, the way something has to be, a tree or a street or a house, something, anyway, that belongs to me because I belong to it.”
― Truman Capote
Post a Comment