Sunday, November 21, 2010

Biking, the Spiral Jetty, and a Wedding! I love weddings!

My good friend Beckah and I discovered road biking this summer, and I LOVE it! Don't ask me why riding along the road on quarter inch tires, nearly getting smashed by speeding traffic, and being clipped into my pedals feels safer than mountain biking, but I got on a road bike and felt my confidence soar! It's ridiculously efficient and so much fun!

Our first ride was a loop around Bear Lake- that's 50 miles! Not bad for our first time on road bikes ever! (Course we were walking around like cowpokes the next day- yikes were we saddle sore.)



It was darn pretty! Especially on the far side of the lake where there was less traffic and some rolling hills that rewarded the effort it took to summit each one with some excellent coasting time.

We also did Blacksmith Fork Canyon, which was darn beautiful and afforded an opportunity to see the Fall leaves right before they started to wilt and drop. As we sped along the winding road I felt like there was nowhere else I would rather be!

Coming down I nearly died! We were racing down, as it was starting to get dark, when three dear jumped out into the road!! Two bounded out of the way, but one was jumping around like he wasn't quite sure what to do! I had a split second to decide which direction to take. I swerved left, and thankfully the confused creature swerved right and I missed him by mere inches. I was coasting at about 30mph at the time, and I hate to think what would've been left of me if I had smacked him head on!





In other news I finally made it out to the Spiral Jetty! Yes, as Utah's claim to fame in the art world, I've seen Robert Smithson's jetty in textbooks for years, and decided it was about time I experienced it for myself. So Beckah and I headed out to the internationally renowned earthwork, and it did not disappoint. What could be cooler than combining art and nature?! It was a good time to go too, because the water was low so we could walk out onto it (sometimes it's submerged) although "walk" might be the wrong word. The thing sort of demands jumping and frolicking. So here it is, sticking out into the Great Salt Lake.



And here we are jumping and frolicking...

and communing with nature...

and wondering what this alien mine-looking thing is...




AND, my brother Dave got married!! It was so much fun. They're a stellar couple!


Everything worked out ridiculously well, from the temple sealing, to the reception. Me and my "little" bro hung out together most the time. Don't we look snazzy?

Trent was every little boys hero. It was fun to see him out throwing around the football in his tux.


And I got to hang out with my niece and nephew! He thinks I'm a cool aunt cuz I can build awesome lego castles! Sigh, if only all men were so easy to please.


And here we are, at the beginning of happily ever after...

"and the point, gentlemen, is that they lived!" HAHAHAHahahahaha....

3 comments:

Emily said...

hahahhahhaaha! I love that you quoted Ever After! Love that! And I LOVE that you updated. And I LOVE that you are obsessed with biking! I love that 50 miles around Bear Lake. It's so amazingly fun! As soon as the weather gets better, can we please go on an epic bikeride? Please say yes. Also, can we play sometime? Please say yes. And can we eat cookie dough? Please say yes. All those would make me so happy!

I love and miss you!

Lizaka said...

Hooray! You are wonder woman. Seriously, there is nothing you can't do. I don't think that dear knew who he was dealing with. And a big yay for Dave!
I miss you!!

Deborah said...

That's so great for Dave. Huzzah! And also so great for you. Dang, but I miss biking, nature, and you. I'm glad you are living it up, however. And I'll just bore you by repeating that anytime you want to come to NY...(insert all sorts of awesomeness).